Searching in docMgt is very simple. You can use the top tool bar search or you can use the Home page search. Either way is the same.
The top tool bar search box allows you to type in your search from any screen in the system. Just enter the words you are looking for and any records that match those words will be presented in the search results. For instance, if you are looking for the "john smith" record you could type in "john smith" and hit ENTER to perform the search. Any records with JOHN or SMITH in them will be found but any records with JOHN and SMITH will be at the top of the search results because both values were found. See SEARCH TIPS for more information on how the search works.
If you have any saved searches then you can use the saved search drop down to perform a saved search with a single click. You can also save the last search you made by clicking the Save button in the upper-right of the Saved Searches panel. To edit or delete your saved searches, use the Edit and Delete icons for the given saved search.
On the HOME page you will find the searching section at the top. The standard search is a single text box and it operates in the same way as the top tool bar search.
If your administrator has created Record Types then you will have other search options from the pull-down menu on the right side of the Search section. Select one of those search types and you will be presented with a search form that gives you more direct control over your search. For example, if you select "Personnel" in the drop down you will be given a custom search form that will specifically look at Personnel records:
Enter the search criteria in the given fields and hit ENTER or click the Search button to perform a search on only the Personnel records. You can even set the field by which to sort from the last field of the search form. See SEARCH TIPS for more information on how the search works.
You also have a button to show or hide advanced search options. It is the gray button to the left of the search button with a gear icon. Click this to reveal full text, workflow and sorting options.
If you want to set a specific Record Type as your default search type you can use the Lock button on the left side. This lock button will make the current search screen load by default when your Home page loads. Use the Unlock button to remove this as your default search.
You also have 2 other options that show up at the bottom of the Record Type list - Find UnIndexed Records and Find Last Added Records.
Find Un-Indexed Records is used to find the Records in the system that have NO data associated with them at all. If ANY data is associated with the Record then it is considered Indexed and will not show up in this search.
Find Last Added Records will perform a search of all Records and will show them in the order of the last Record saved first. This helps you to find the newest Records in the system quickly.
The same searching options are available from the top toolbar. Click the down arrow to the left of the top search box to see the list of Record Types to be able to search for them. Click the Record Type to search on and a search form for that Record Type will pop up for you to enter your search. You can also perform custom searches from the top toolbar. This allows you to search multiple Record Types using custom search criteria.
Once the search has been performed, any matching records will be shown in the search results screen.
If you search within a specific Record Type and that Record Type is set up to display the results in a grid format then your results will look more like this.
Click on any row to view the selected record. You can also click the star icon on the right to add or remove the Record from your favorites.
There are some buttons toward the top of the screen that add additional functionality.
- The first button allows you to set viewing preferences such as Open in Current/New Window, View Line Items, Number of Results Per Page, and View Mode.
- The second button allows you to download the search results in CSV or Excel format. You can download the current page or results or all the results.
- The third button allows you to save the current search for re-use later.
- The fourth button is only visible if there are Add-Ins defined by your system administrator. Each Add-In is custom and will perform specific actions on the checked records or on all searched records if no records are checked.
- The fifth button is an action menu. Here are the actions available (depending on your rights):
- Check or Un-Check All Records
- Delete all searched records (available only for Administrators)
- Add All searched Records to Favorites
- Export All searched Records (Windows only) - Initiates download searched Records and Documents for export
- Delete Checked Records
- Add to Favorites
- Edit Checked Records
- Merge Checked Records
- Export Checked Records (Windows only) - Initiates download checked Records and Documents for export
- Print Checked Records (Windows only) - Initiates download of checked Records' Documents for printing
- Open Checked Records - Opens each Record in its own tab (be sure to tell your pop up blocker not to block the windows)
- Share via Portal (only if Collaboration is enabled)
- Assign Checked Records (If asset tracking is enabled)
- Add Retention Hold
- Remove Retention Hold
- Route Checked Records - Sends all Records into workflow
If asset tracking is enabled you will see "Assigned To" on the right of the screen for every Record that is currently assigned to a user.
NOTE: Any Record that you do not have rights to edit will show up with a colored border around it. That way you can know ahead of time whether or not you have rights to change the information about that Record.